Happy Birthday, Sweet P! | The ‘Social Tote’

Completed Social Tote | basting beauty

Completed Social Tote | basting beauty

This year, my Mom‘s birthday falls on Good Friday – I knew I wanted to sew her something special for her gift, but I wanted to make something other than a quilt.  I had admired Carolyn Friedlander’s “Social Tote” pattern for quite some time, and thought this would make a nice gift – especially filled with quilting notions, Valdani perle cotton thread, some wool charm squares and chocolate.  I used Tula Pink’s “Fox Field” field for the fabric – it isn’t exactly my Mom’s style, but the bright spring colours, florals and cute little animals steered my choice.  With her birthday today, and mine on Easter Monday, some rabbits are in order!

Social Tote filled with Easter and Quilting goodies | basting beauty

Social Tote filled with Easter and Quilting goodies | basting beauty

The construction of this tote was quite challenging!  I had never made anything “3D” before, nor had I used the stabilizers required to give it shape.  I spent a lot of time studying the instructions, reading blog posts online, and trying to visualize how this little beauty would come together.  In the end, there were a couple parts that I didn’t quite understand fully, and I improvised, but nothing that changed the character of the design.  The inner lining, shown below, was one of the most challenging steps, but Carolyn has extra instructions and pictures on her website that made it do-able, even for me.

Inner lining dividers | basting beauty

Inner lining dividers | basting beauty

Another aspect that added to the challenge of this project was the overall ‘bulk’ of the materials.  In the final steps of assembly, each layer is quite thick, and I was worried whether my machine would even entertain sewing through it all.  Luckily, my wee Janome performed admirably, and the thick layers weren’t an issue. Phew! The pattern also included a little pincushion, which I didn’t get a chance to make - But I will – Stay tuned, Sweet P!

Outer Shell ready-to-assemble | Social Tote | basting beauty

Outer Shell ready-to-assemble | Social Tote | basting beauty

Lastly, and perhaps most enjoyably, I took the tote into my favourite local quilt store to choose some little   items to fill it up.  The tote is smaller than I envisioned it being, but it should work nicely for my Mom’s  hand-sewing projects.

Happy Birthday, Mom!  I hope you enjoy this quirky little tote! XOXO!

Social Tote | side view | basting beauty

Social Tote | side view | basting beauty

Social Tote | Tula Pink "Fox Field" | basting beauty

Social Tote | Tula Pink “Fox Field” | basting beauty

Social Tote | Tula Pink "Fox Field" | basting beauty

Social Tote | Tula Pink “Fox Field” | basting beauty

16 Comments on Happy Birthday, Sweet P! | The ‘Social Tote’

1. Lisa Seyfried
    April 18, 2014 at 11:39 am (5 months ago)

Love the spring colors!! Happy Birthday Paulette!!!! Awesome present Erin.

2. Joan
    April 18, 2014 at 11:45 am (5 months ago)

The tote is beautiful. I saw the pics on your mom’s blog. Happy Birthday to you!

3. Sandi H.
    April 18, 2014 at 12:00 pm (5 months ago)

You did a lovely job on your mom’s gift. Thanks for sharing a great tutorial and names of the fabric and bag designer. That fabric is too cute, love the bunnies.

4. sandy
    April 18, 2014 at 5:04 pm (5 months ago)

Lucky mom, you realize that the rest of us at Heritage Quilters are going to be very envious when she shows up with this beauty. Love the colours Erin and happy birthday to you for Monday.

5. quiltmom anna
    April 18, 2014 at 6:23 pm (5 months ago)

what a beautiful gift Erin- I know that your mom sure loved it- Its my mom’s birthday today too- She is somewhat older than your mom- she turned 78 today. I love the little details in your tote and the individual gifts you put in the tote. It is a very thoughtful gift.
    An early Happy Birthday to you.
    with best wishes,
    Quiltmom Anna

6. Claire
    April 18, 2014 at 6:24 pm (5 months ago)

Erin, it is SO beautiful and such a perfect gift for your mom. I love the fabric and am once again in awe of your sewing. What you do with that little machine is amazing! Great job! Happy birthday to you on Monday. I hope you get some quilty goodies for your birthday, too.

7. Debbie St.Germain
    April 18, 2014 at 8:16 pm (5 months ago)

You did a beautiful job on the tote and a wonderful job on picking out the perfect gifts for your mom.

Debbie

8. Melanie
    April 18, 2014 at 9:30 pm (5 months ago)

Erin, I too have looked at that pattern for awhile. Nice job…..it has inspired me. I will add this to my must do list. Happy birthday Sweet P.

9. Gai Butler
    April 18, 2014 at 10:33 pm (5 months ago)

Another beautiful item from your talented hands – and one VERY lucky mum to receive such a wonderfully thoughtful gift. Wishing you the happiest of birthdays for Monday.

10. Darlene
    April 18, 2014 at 11:12 pm (5 months ago)

Erin, your Mom’s bag is delightful and beautiful. The jars are fabulous, as well. You are a very talented young lady. Keep it up! :-)

11. pauletteadoyle@gmail.com
    April 19, 2014 at 8:49 am (5 months ago)

Erin there is nothing quirky about this sweet little tote!! I LOVE IT…and love it even more that you made it for me!! Thanks you SEW much!!xx I also love the loot inside the tote! What woolie wouldn’t love those soft little bundles of Easter colours and Valdani threads!! Ahhh yes, you know your mother well…right down to the chocolate Easter eggs! There goes the diet! Such thoughtful gift that I will treasure for a long time to come!! Big HUG!
    Mxxoo

12. Helen Storer
    April 19, 2014 at 6:53 pm (5 months ago)

What a lovely present for your mum!

13. Darlene
    April 21, 2014 at 9:30 am (5 months ago)

A little bird has shared that today, Monday, April 21 is your birthday. Happy, Happy Birthday, Erin. I hope your day is full of all things that make you happy.

14. carolyn
    April 22, 2014 at 10:00 am (5 months ago)

So cute! This turned out stunning!

15. Karen Miller
    April 23, 2014 at 9:45 am (5 months ago)

Just beautiful ! What a darling daughter you are — Sweet P — you’re so very blessed!! Love the tote and the contents.

16. Eva Leisure
    April 25, 2014 at 3:53 pm (5 months ago)

I just love it! It looks wonderful, think your mom loved it, too.

Penny for your thoughts?