Botanics Science Fair Quilt

Science Fair Quilt | Botanics Fabric | basting beauty

Science Fair Quilt | Botanics Fabric | basting beauty

I have been a fan of Julie Herman, of Jaybird Quilts, for as long as I have been interested in quilting. Admittedly, this isn’t actually that much time, but the point is, Julie’s designs have always appealed to me. Although this is the first Jaybird quilt I have made, it is just one on a long list of designs I have on my ‘To-Do’ list. Her designs are fresh, modern, utilize beautiful fabric collections and, if ‘Science Fair’ is any indication, are designed quite ingeniously. Although many look quite complicated, the use of Julie’s rulers, the “Hex N More” and the “Sidekick”, make cutting fabric and piecing a dream. From start to finish, I thoroughly enjoyed making this quilt. Plus, the design appeals to the 80s kid in me, and reminds me of Tetris a bit. Modern, beautiful, hexagonal Tetris, of course! ;)

Machine Quilting the Woodgrain motif | basting beauty

Machine Quilting the Woodgrain motif | basting beauty

As mentioned in my previous post, I wanted to quilt this project using Better Off Thread’s ‘Ultra-Wavy’ Woodgrain pattern. Although it was very easy to do on my practice cushions, I worried it would be much more difficult on a quilt. I was pleasantly surprised that it was very attainable, even using my small sewing machine. One thing that definitely helped with this was the use of basting spray instead of pins – I immediately noticed how much easier it was to pull the bulk my quilt through the machine when there were no pins to get caught. I might be hooked on basting spray!

'Ultra-Wavy' Woodgrain Quilting | basting beauty

‘Ultra-Wavy’ Woodgrain Quilting | basting beauty

This was my first quilt that called for bias binding. The angles of the protruding hexagons required the stretchiness of bias binding in order to work around the 120 degree angle at the top and bottom of the quilt. This seemed rather daunting, but Jaybird to the rescue! Julie’s Tutorial on how to bind 120 degree angles was SO helpful! I don’t usually find the need to use binding clips on regular quilts, but with the zig-zag edges of this quilt, I needed something to hold my binding down. Bobby pins work brilliantly for this job. I didn’t think it was possible, but bobby pins just became even MORE valuable to me!

Bias Binding | basting beauty

Bias Binding | basting beauty

Bobby Pins aiding the Binding Process | basting beauty

Bobby Pins aiding the Binding Process | basting beauty

Another thing I enjoy about this quilt is the fabric collection – ‘Botanics’ by Carolyn Friedlander for Robert Kaufman Fabrics. Beautiful, rich colours combined with fine line drawings of flowers and textures, and shiny, yet subtle, gold accents also(!) Fabric design home run, or what?! I had original reserved my stack of Botanics prints for Jaybird’s ‘Park Bench’ quilt, so I will have to get myself some more of these wonderful prints.

Botanics Fabric | basting beauty

Botanics Fabric | basting beauty

Botanics Fabric | basting beauty

Botanics Fabric | basting beauty

I highly recommend both this “Science Fair” pattern, and the Jaybird Quilt’s Hex N More ruler… It definitely makes me want to rush out and get Julie’s other ruler, the Sidekick and try another one of her patterns VERY soon!

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look!

Spring Wall Hanging | Science Fair Quilt | Botantics Fabric | basting beauty

Spring Wall Hanging | Science Fair Quilt | Botantics Fabric | basting beauty

Science Fair quilt wall hanging | basting beauty

Science Fair quilt wall hanging | basting beauty

23 Comments on Botanics Science Fair Quilt

1. pauletteadoyle@gmail.com
    April 1, 2014 at 9:47 pm (5 months ago)

WOW!! I love everything about this quilt!! AND you did it in just over a week!! Incredible! I am definitely going to give the wood grain wavy line FMQ a try!! Perfect for this quilt!
    You done Mama proud!
    Mxo

2. Glynis
    April 2, 2014 at 7:57 am (5 months ago)

Erin, your quilt and quilting are amazing! You have accomplished so much in such a short time , love the wood grain look on your beautiful quilt .

3. Janna
    April 2, 2014 at 8:47 am (5 months ago)

Amazing Erin–you just started quilting and now you are doing bias binding!! I’m impressed!

4. heartsdesire
    April 2, 2014 at 8:59 am (5 months ago)

I love basting spray and use it on all my little quilts, but never tried it on a big one. I’m rather lazy and generally send the big quilt tops to the long arm quilter. Your wood grain quilting is fantastic. And bobby pins, who’d of thought!

5. Vivian
    April 2, 2014 at 9:15 am (5 months ago)

I hopped over from your mom’s blog and I’m definitely glad I did. This is a wonderful quilt–the design, the woodgrain quilting, and your adventure with bias binding on 120-degree corners. You’re an impressive quilter regardless of how long you’ve been quilting, and reading that it’s only been 6 months or so, BRAVO !!
    If you did all this on the secondhand sewing machine you bought so you could do mending, then you made a wise purchase. The quilting stitches look even and have good tension.
    Looking forward to see what you work on next.

6. Teri Jordan
    April 2, 2014 at 9:27 am (5 months ago)

WOW……is all I can say…what a beauty…..

7. Lesley
    April 2, 2014 at 9:39 am (5 months ago)

Your quilt is amazing! Love your choice of fabrics and your awesome quilting!

8. Claire
    April 2, 2014 at 9:50 am (5 months ago)

Another amazing project, Erin. I was impressed that you sewed it, in awe that you quilted it and now it is bound AND hanging! All in the span of one Spring Break? Wow! You sure are an inspiration. I can’t wait to see what you do during the summer break!

9. Debbie St.Germain
    April 2, 2014 at 9:57 am (5 months ago)

I love how your quilt came out, it is absolutely stunning.

Debbie

10. sandy
    April 2, 2014 at 10:34 am (5 months ago)

Looks like you have your mom’s talent alright. Your quilt is lovely and I am very impressed with the quilting, only six months you say? Did you free motion or are the feed dogs down?

• erin419
      April 3, 2014 at 2:43 pm (5 months ago)

Thanks Sandy! The feed dogs are up – I used my waking foot. I’ve had my machine for about a year – I started with curtains and table runner project and finished my first quilt in November. It’s so much fun!

11. Kathy MacKie
    April 2, 2014 at 10:49 am (5 months ago)

You make it look so easy but I know how much work is involved but really it’s play and not work, right. Woot woot!

12. Paula
    April 2, 2014 at 12:39 pm (5 months ago)

You are simply amazing. It must be in your genes. WOW!

13. Christine Rohloff
    April 2, 2014 at 8:25 pm (5 months ago)

Just beautiful! I am very impressed with your quilting…..I struggle with this myself so I am always looking out for ideas.christine

14. Gai Butler
    April 2, 2014 at 8:57 pm (5 months ago)

Yet another WOW!!! You have inspired me so much that I’ve tracked down that pattern and ruler and am keen to give it a go myself. Can’t imagine it looking as good as your though. Keep them coming…we all love to be WOWED!

• erin419
      April 3, 2014 at 2:44 pm (5 months ago)

Enjoy, Gai! It’s a fun one!

15. Kristy Wilkinson
    April 2, 2014 at 10:49 pm (5 months ago)

So glad I came and saw your quilt! Your mom was right. You did an excellent job! Love the colors, quilting and design. Jaybird has really wonderful patterns and inspires with her use of color. Keep up the beautiful work. K-

16. QuiltSue
    April 3, 2014 at 2:08 am (5 months ago)

I can see why your mother is so proud of you, that is an amazing quilt to have made, quilted and bound in a week. I love it.

17. Little Penpen
    April 3, 2014 at 6:58 am (5 months ago)

OMG! I came over from your mom’s blog…. beautiful…. modern, yet so classic!

18. Wendy Ouellette
    April 3, 2014 at 9:40 pm (5 months ago)

Mom sent me over and I am glad she did! Love your quilt, love the quilting, love the idea of bobby pins…very clever!
    It would seem the apple didn’t fall far from the tree.

19. Karen
    April 4, 2014 at 12:21 am (5 months ago)

Wowsers that quilt design looks fabulous on your quilt. Congratulations on your quilt it look wonderful. A very satisfying finish.

20. Margaret
    April 4, 2014 at 6:00 am (5 months ago)

No wonder your Momma is so proud, what beautiful work! Loved your quilting too,your lines are great and totally make the zing in your quilt.
    Maggey

21. Regina
    April 4, 2014 at 8:07 am (5 months ago)

oh my – this is STUNNING!

Penny for your thoughts?